How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 23805
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested medication used to treat blood pressure....i

Customer Question dog ingested medication used to treat blood this an emergency?
DOG: 6 year old healthy male American Bulldog, 95 lbs
MEDICATION INGESTED: Nifedipine / Lidocaine topical ointment approx 60grams of 0.5%/3% strength
-approx 60 minuts post ingestion I induced vomitting with hydorgren peroxide.....vomitted food from earlier in evening + pieces of plastic from tube + White foam/froth
-has been lethargic since but in 2 hours since vomitting (3 hours total since ingestion) he now seems letharigc still and my concern is that his heart seems to be beating rapidly...breaths are normal at 30 per minute
-dog is shaking/twitching slightly/moderately
-eyes are open and he's responsive (drinking water, moving)
Is this a major problem? He seems to be ok but I'm afraid things will get worse as I'm about to go to bed....should I take him to the 24 hour vet? or am I being silly? thanks!
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Rob. May I have an update on your dog? Lidocaine isn't active when given orally due to a high-pass effect (the liver removes it quickly from the GI tract). The nifedipine is a calcium channel blocker that can cause hypotension and reflex tachycardia (increased heart rate) (possibly bradycardia/low heart rate) in overdosed dogs. Gut emptying as you performed was smart. Supportive treatment might be necessary, however, in the form of beta-agonists.