Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

JA: . How can we help? Customer: are you in fact

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: are you in fact a vet assistant?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: that was my question
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: dog has been throwing up this mornig after eating all kibble in one pile hardly difgested
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: had normal bowel mvement mid day
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 14 almost
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: labradoodle
JA: Huh?
Customer: the dog is a labradoodle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dog is 14 years old almost. Over all very healthy. Had over the last 4 weeks digestif issues. Had some blood in stool and after feeding rice and chicken normalized after 2 days and was fine. Then always seems to cough a little after eating. reduced the amount of food and she always eats in AM. Today she threw up 4 times after this morning she ate and threw up all kibble. She only eats dry food all her life. When she threw up today seemed a slight yellow green color.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She recently started straining with diarrhea about once or twice a week as well.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any pre existing medical conditions? 2- Is she currently on any medications? 3- Is she lethargic? 4- How much does she weigh? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. No
2. No meds
3. No
4. Last vet visit about 8 months ago approx 55 lbs
5. Diarhea, excessive water drinking over the last weeks. Also I felt she was a little shaky tonight right before she threw up
Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question when a dog is vomiting and is having episodes of diarrhea this can be caused either by primary problems occurring within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that she is an older dog and is drinking excessively I would want to rule out systemic diseases. You see, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The yellow color vomit is the presence of bile which is common with forceful vomiting. The straining when she defecates is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines); these symptoms could be caused by any of the above mentioned diseases. Or, primary problems in the intestinal tract like: Infections, parasites, auto immune disorders (IBS), etc. In this case, to determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. If the blood work is normal then they may need to do additional testing like xrays or abdominal ultrasound. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, this is what you can do for the vomiting: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter