Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Lost weight in one week,had 2 bad seizures,Vet says it's dementia

Customer Question

Lost weight in one week,had 2 bad seizures,Vet says it's dementia because of his age but I know I've had Adderals around
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is*****
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moe, Fox Terrier?
Customer: No,I leave for dtug treatment Center tomorrow,I hope he is Alive when I come back
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He falls down alot and he has no balance,he is full of energy though
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Went from fat to skin and bones
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mary Merrick'*****@******.***
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Moe. Adderal ingestion will initially cause agitation followed by seizures and coma if greater than 1-1.5 mg/lb of Adderal were ingested. Seizures unrelated to Adderall arise and stop quickly. His ataxia ("drunken sailor") can arise secondary to encephalopathy (brain disorder), myelopathy (spinal cord disorder), or severe metabolic disrangements which affect the brain. His weight loss is a nonspecific finding but such cachexia (wasting) is a very negative prognostic sign. Moe may suffer from cognitive dysfunction but there's more going on causing his symptoms referable to his central nervous system. His vet would need to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam rather than just chalking Moe's behavior up to "dementia". Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.