Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I already have an appt to take my chihuahua to the vet

Customer Question

Hi. I already have an appt to take my chihuahua to the vet first thing in the am but am trying to see if that might b waiting too long and I should take him to a pet er (much more expensive) dog is on a plan with the vet. But...started with a gurgling stomach this morning and wouldn't eat his bfast. Then I had to go out and when I came home found gd had been throwing up and had diarrhea with blood.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not sure. But is very possible. I'm constantly making him drop things he's trying to eat when we go on walks.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bo 2.5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bo?
Customer: No. He's usually very healthy. This is the first time anything like this has happened.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did he get into anything? 2- Is he lethargic? 3- Did he get into anything? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Hasn't gotten into anything that I know of. Does seem lethargic. He weights about 10lbs. Gums are pink.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The vomiting is a consequence of the inflammation and the underlying cause of the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that he is lethargic is a concern.In response to your question, I would have him checked by ER veterinarian if this was my dog. If this is related to a foreign body it could have a fatal outcome if not treated early. If you decide not to go ER vet this is what you can until he is seen by family vet: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter