Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My shizhu has been constipated 3 days. What home

Customer Question

My shizhu has been constipated for about 3 days. What home remedy can I try?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if she isn’t passing stool, then we do need to tread with care and give a bit of assistance at this stage. Of course, if you see any vomiting, belly pain, and if she were to become distressed with this; then we’d need to have her seen urgently by her vet. Though as long as we are not, there are a few tricks you can try at home for her.To start, we can help relieve mild constipation by using some cow milk. This is because they are like little lactose intolerant people and therefore this can help move things down the gut a bit quicker. Or you can treat her with a dose of OTC cat hairball medication. This works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, we could also mix a small volume of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose, or food grade mineral oil) into her food. Do avoid giving it directly, since we’d want to avoid any aspiration risk.Further to this, if she is eating you can mix in some fiber(ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. When offering these, its best to use wet food both for ease of feeding but also since canned food is 35% water. It’s a good way to make sure we are getting fluids into her As well, you also want to encourage her to drink by offering fresh water, low salt chicken broth, or even lactose free milk. The increase in fluids with avoid any dehydration risk, which can make constipation worse.So, the above treatments would be our options at this stage for your lass. Of course, as you use these, do keep a close eye on her fecal output. Hopefully, we will see some feces, but if we don’t in the next 12-24 hours, or she begins to vomit or feel poorly at all, then we’d need to get your local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation). Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet