Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My dog is a listless and has no appetite. She hasn't gone

Customer Question

my dog is a listless and has no appetite. She hasn't gone to the bathroom either urine or poop since yesterday... I am a little worried because this is not her usual self. My vet is closed today. I don't know if I should go to emergency with her.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She sleeps. She barks occasionally but not as frequent as usual. She usually wants you to rub her belly but today she is not asking for that. She isn't yelping if you touch her stomach but this is unusual.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I have a couple of questions before I can help you properly. Is she vomiting or having diarrhea? How old is she? Do her gums look pale white or normal pink? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomit, no diarrhea, gums are pink.
9 years old.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for the information, with the information you've provided it is very possible she has a fever. A fever can explain sudden lethargy, not eating and not drinking. A fever of course is not the only problem it could be, but it is the most likely. As long as she is not repeatedly vomiting, her gums are pink and she's not becoming progressively more and more lethargic, then I don't think this is an emergency. I would offer her some boiled meat and boiled rice (chicken, hamburger or fish). Give a little of this to her now and if she does not worsen at all take her to the vet in the morning. If she refuses this food you don't need to spend a lot of time getting her to eat as one day of this is not dangerous. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can give her for the fever?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
There isn't anything SAFE to give for a fever. Over the counter meds like aspirin and Tylenol are not effective for dogs in safe dosages. If she feels warm to you, then you can put cold cloths or ice packs on her paws or belly to help cool her a little. Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan