Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

How do you treat loquat seed poisoning in dogs? JA: IÂ'm

Customer Question

How do you treat loquat seed poisoning in dogs?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes. Loquats.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Terrible itching as a result of eating the seeds.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Loquat seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides (think cyanide) which are only toxic if pulverized and ingested in an egregious amount. If your dog is pruritic (itchy) after ingesting loquat, he's allergic to rather than intoxicated by the loquat. This is addressed by an over the counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at a dose of 1-2 mg/lb (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) and repeated in 12 hours if necessary. In severe cases, a vet can administer a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone or dexamethasone in order to stop the allergic response.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.