Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

How much melatonin can I give my dog? Currently get 3mg bid

Customer Question

how much melatonin can I give my dog? Currently get 3mg bid but with her cushings & diabetes I am toying with the idea of giving her 5mg bid. She is a 9year old miniature schnauzer that weights approximately 20# & has been high strung her whole life
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Abby. She is already being treated with the diabetes with science diet food & 13u of insulin bid. Cushings disease is being controlled with 50mg of Trilostane a day. She just has a lot of anxiety
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?
Customer: No just the anxiety & acting like she is starving & eats weird things... the only thing that we know of is crayons. We increased her food intake recently to almost 2 cups of food twice a day. I guess I should also say that she has a history of bladder stones with goes with her being a schnauzer.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Thanks for your question about melatonin. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian for Just Answer. Melatonin is pretty safe and you could go to 6 to 12 mg twice daily. However, it is not usually helpful with stress and anxiety. It does have some properties for treating Cushing's. You can also try Cushex drops, available online. For anxiety I would try Zylkene, DAP, or Stress Away.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Can I help with or answer anything else?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was recommended things we have already tried but thanks for the input..
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
You are welcome. I hope the higher dose of melatonin helps.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?