Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My little yorkie yesterday night lost balance and started

Customer Question

Hi! My little yorkie yesterday night lost balance and started shaking a lot, she's still shaking and she can't walk good, also she can't eat nothing.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: She try to walk and was suddenly that fell like a swoon and his eyes turned and began to tremble. today walks strange as she lost balance and suddenly trembles.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cookie, 7 moths
JA: How old is Cookie?
Customer: 7 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?
Customer: My son said that she took a sugar cookie from his bedroom
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Rebeca. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Cookie, please? Her behavior yesterday sounded like a complex partial seizure which is defined as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity involving any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, diarrhea,"licking her chops"/nausea/acid reflux) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. When seizures first rise between the age of 1-5 years, idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is most often diagnosed.If she's still symptomatic, I'm concerned that she's in status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't stop and would require a vet to heavily sedate or anesthetize her. Seizures can result from primary brain disorders such as the epilepsy I mentioned but also from disorders outside the brain such as a poorly functioning liver which is intoxicating the brain. Outside the brain disorders are an important consideration in Yorkies because that breed is overrepresented with portosystemic shunts - a vascular anomaly associated with the liver which then functions poorly. Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.