Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can I give 81mg enteric coated aspirin to my 15# ***** Presently

Customer Question

can I give 81mg enteric coated aspirin to my 15# ***** Presently taking 1/2 mg prednisone due to back pain (inflammation), but pain persists with certain movements and I just want to help alleviate discomfort.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, this would not be safe to give to Zoe if she is on Prednisone. The two drugs share common pathways and if you use them together we'd risk causing a GI upset and a possible stomach ulcer and damage. So, that is highly inadvisable for her. Instead, if she is very sore with certain movements, it'd be best to restrict those movements if you can and ring her local vet (or even consider seeing your local urgent care vet) to add in a safe alternative like Gabapentin, Tramadol, or Buprenorphine. That way we can keep her comfortable and avoid causing her any harm. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )