Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog chased a rabbit last night and her back legs went up

Customer Question

My dog chased a rabbit last night and her back legs went up in the air. She didn't cry but was not right for a few seconds. She is eating and playing but I noticed this morning blood in her urine. Could she have done something inside when she ran on the leash and it pulled her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Yes, this is not unusual when there was a stressed area during this chase. There was most likley some form of strain from her back legs that has caused this blood in the urine due to a strain. It is good news that Trixie is acting normal but it would be good to give her a couple days of aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce the inflammation caused by this strain. This will help this area heal faster to decrease the time that the strain is causing stress on Trixies system. Watch for any signs of a Urimary Tract Infection (UTI) such as straining to urinate and continued blood in the urine which will require treatment by your vet. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****