Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I have a tea cup yorkie who has a conjuctivitis eye infection

Customer Question

Hi I have a tea cup yorkie who has a conjuctivitis eye infection in her one eye. I have tobramycin eye drops that I had used for myself last month. Is it ok to use them on her?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** She is 11 yrs old. I am a nurse and I it looks like classic pink eye that you would see in a child crusty in the am conjuctive red
JA: I must have eaten right as a child. I don't need glasses.
Customer: glasses??
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Titi?
Customer: She is pit bull trapped in a 3lb body LOL
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem. How long has this been going on?Any cloudiness to the cornea (clear part of the eye)?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About 5 days no cloudiness
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
Cloudiness often means an ulcer is present, so clear eyes are excellent!Conjunctivitis can be bacterial or allergic most commonly in dogs. You can indeed use the tobramycin drops for your dog. I recommend using one drop in both eyes every 12 hours for the next 5 days. I would also recommend giving a small amount of children benadryl: 1ml orally every 12 hours to treat any underlying allergy. You can start with the drops and add in benadryl if she is not improving, or you can begin with both (if her eyes seem itchy).
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
If things don't appear better within 2-3 days, she should head to the vet to be checked out.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
Please let me know if you need any further information. I suspect your dog will respond positively very quickly to treatment.I wish you both the best. Have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!