Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 9 year old husky who is healthy except of

Customer Question

My 9 year old husky who is healthy except for treatment of lymes disease woke up four days ago in a state of distress. She could not and when she did she had no control of her back legs. For several hours there was no consoling her. She whined loudly and refused to lay down. She appeared dazed and or blind. We took Her to her vet immediately who suggested perhaps she had a seizure and was now in the post ictal stage of that seizure. Valium was given in case we witnessed another seizure ( not used). We did not see any other seizures but the dog continued to circle and whine and did not sleep for Over 16 hours. Later in the day she did seem to perk up and wanted to go for a walk. Following the walk she began the behaviors again which lasted through the night and at times she seemed to be in extreme pain howling and walking aimlessly. The following day the doctor perceived Xanax but by 4pm she was like her old self. Than at 6pm the whining and circling started again. We gave the Xanax. It took a while for this to work and she fell asleep and slept proximately two hours but again she began whining and circling. We returned to the vey who gave us phenobarbital.
at this point we are not sure if the confusion is related to the original episode or medication. She continues to circle and whine and than collapses from exhaustion. The vet said that we should give the phenobarbital five days to work. She eats , drinks, pees but has not pooped. At times she seems to be crying in pain. Do you really think that the symptoms are coming from seizures or could be a brain tumor.? Is there more we can do to help her or are we prolonging the inevitable? She is so miserable.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now I share your concern about Blaze.All of her signs are neurological and the whining/crying could be discomfort induced but sounds more likely to be secondary to confusion and disorientation (Though you could have her vet start pain relief too to just make sure that isn't a worry). Even intermittent loss of leg use and sight would fit with an ongoing issue raising pressure in the brain. As well, if she circles in one direction that raises worries of a discreet lesion as opposed to a diffuse one affecting the whole brain (and if she circles in one particular direction that often is to the same side the lesion is on). Considering all of these signs suddenly arising in an older dog, we'd be most wary of a brain tumor, focal brain bleed or swelling, parasitic cyst, or focal infection. It is possible to see epilepsy but often it will be younger dogs that are affected. So, if she isn't responding to treatment and is really struggling; then you may need to consider whether you wait or have your vet refer her to a veterinary neurologist. They can check a spinal tap and MRI to help determine which issue is present here. And once we know, we'd be in a position to target treatment for this and try to help Blaze settle and get back to normal for you. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
How is everything going for Blaze?Dr. B.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Blaze had anothrr seizure late Sunday. She could no longer move or function. On Monday our vet suggested her body was shutting down and she would not last much longer. She was put to sleep and is now laying peacefully under her favorite tree. We are totally lost and heartbroke over this sudden loose.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
The poor love. I am very sorry to hear that she did have another seizure that took such a toll on her. Still, you did make the right decision for her. So, please do take comfort in all you did for her and the great memories you shared over the years with her. Please take care, my thoughts are with you,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are welcome, my dear.Please take care,Dr. B.