Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My female Maltese keeps licking her vagina. I will

Customer Question

hello. My female Maltese keeps licking her vagina.
I will make her stop. Then she is breathing hard. She is also 15 years old.
She has been doing this for a week now. What can I do for her since my vet
is closed for the weekend? PLEASE HELP......Cathy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Has she been showing any urinary changes (ie increased frequency going, straining, passing more urine or just small amounts)?Any changes to her urine color or odor? Any blood or pus?Has she been spayed?Are her gums pink or pale/white?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let's see.
She has been going urinating more it seems. no color changes or odor that I can tell. She acts like she is hotter than normal. Breathing seems normal. She is 16, been spayed. Breathing rate about 42. She licks more after she pees. It looks a little swollen today. No discharge. I'm thinking a UTI maybe? But I'm no doctor. LOL. Waiting on answer from you now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello Cathy,If she is straining and passing more urine, then we'd be highly suspicious of a urinary issue causing distress and discomfort. Urinary tracts are most common, so you are on the right track here. Especially as older dogs are very prone to these if they have any reduced kidney function. Though we'd also have to consider bladder stones, urine crystal issues, uterine infection (if she hasn't been spayed), or even bladder tumors. Now if you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. We can often see our dogs with this condition show straining to urinate with increased frequency and often they will lick themselves (especially after passing urine) because the urine stings the skin and can scald it. With this in mind, to give some relief at the moment, you can try to get her to drink more if possible (which can be a wee challenge). Fresh water should of course be offered but you can also offer her low-sodium chicken broth to encourage drinking. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable. Also you can increase the wet food portion of her diet, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into her system. Still while urine dilution will help flush out bacteria and provide temporary relief, it is unlikely that this alone will clear the more severe bladder infections. Therefore, we'd want to have her seen urgently (because its uncomfortable for her, hence her behavior) to get this addressed for her. If possible, do try to collect a urine sample. This can be difficult when they are only passing small volumes, but it would be ideal here. Your vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). As well, they can check the specific gravity to see if her urine is terribly dilute and thus suggestive of one of those other issues underlying. And if there is any worry of crystals, stones, or tumors; the vet can examine the sample under the microscope to rule those out. Overall, I agee that your gal's signs are highly suggestive of bladder based infection and discomfort. Therefore, it would be best to consider having her seen urgently to nip this in the bud before it can affect her kidneys. And while doing so, we can rule out those other concerns. And the sooner we get her onto antibiotics and dog safe pain relief; these signs should settle for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )