Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

She was fine all day yesterday, I took her out as usual to

Customer Question

She was fine all day yesterday, I took her out as usual to do her duties. She peed then went poop but after going poop she is acting like she is in pain. She isn't crying but her normally curly tail is straight and she doesn't want her treats
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shiba inu 6 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hailey?
Customer: She has always been healthy so this is out of character
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.I am so sorry that Hailey is not feeling well. Most likely Hailey has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in this breed because of their conformation. Since Hailey does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Hailey jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Hailey is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Hailey to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****