Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My 8 yr old pug is experiencing difficulty breathing. She

Customer Question

My 8 yr old pug is experiencing difficulty breathing. She was shivering for a while but that has stopped but starting again. I can't take her to the vet until AM. I have an inhaler can I use it on her.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My 8 yr old pug is having trouble breathing. Can I use my inhaler on her since I can't go to the vet until AM?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I can't say she shivers off and on.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: She's lethargic and couldn't jump on the sofa and had to lift her.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maya
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: I am just concerned about her labored breathing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not happy with this service. When I signed up for the quick answer, I got a message 2 hrs ago that my answer was on the way. Still no answer. Please cancel my membership and refund all monies charged to my account.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get your answer....I wil try to help. This difficulty breathing is Maya panting from pain. Most likely Maya has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in older pugs because of their conformation. Since Maya does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain that is causing her to pant. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Maya jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Maya is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow sweet Maya to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine her to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****