Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My baby girl is 5 years old, not spayed and is a husky mix.

Customer Question

My baby girl is 5 years old, not spayed and is a husky mix. Went through a heat cycle in jan/Feb. Looks to be going through another but this isn't a normal one. It is a lot heavier and appears to have some mucusey in it. It is slimey. I washed her off about 830 put a diaper and boxers on her. She has bleed through both. Is this an emergency situation or can I visit the vet first thing Monday. As I do not have the funds for an emergency vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that your pup seems to be going through an abnormal heat cycle with heavy bleeding soon after her last normal cycle in January/February.I hope that she feels fine otherwise, eating and drinking normally with her normal activity level. If not and she is drinking more water then usual or has a decrease in her appetite I am more concerned. An increased vaginal discharge can indicate endometritis, which is due to a thickened, abnormal uterine lining. This isn't necessarily dangerous for her, but it does indicate that she likely has abnormal fertility because of her thickened uterine lining. Another reason for an increased discharge can be a uterine infection called a pyometra. Pyometras can rupture, causing peritonitis and/or the infection can spread to her other organs leading to abscesses in her kidneys, liver spleen and even her heart valves. The toxic metabolites from the infection can affect her appetite and cause her to drink lots of water as the infection progresses. Early on the symptoms of an open pyometra and endometritis can be very similar as long as the pyometra is draining. That is because if the infection is draining she may not feel the effects of the bacterial toxins as quickly as if the infection was closed in and the toxin levels build up more quickly in her uterus and bloodstream. Antibiotics alone do not work to treat a pyometra as they have poor penetration into an infection filled uterus and do not address the pool of infectious material and toxins in her uterus. In rare cases we can use prostaglandin injections and combination antibiotics in dogs that owners want to breed another time, but the success rate is variable. And even if it works if she isn't bred successfully on the next heat the chances of the infection returning are very high. Ideally she would see her veterinarian for an examination and to check her vaginal discharge to try and differentiate between endometritis and an early pyometra. The sooner that she is examined the better as if this is a pyometra the sooner that is addressed the better chance she has of doing well. Treatment for a pyometra is stabilizing her with intravenous fluids and antibiotics and surgery to remove the infected uterus. The longer that you wait the more opportunity this infection has to spread and the more difficult it will be to save her.If she seems to feel great otherwise I recommend that you have her seen as soon as possible by her regular veterinarian. Even if this is endometritis I would recommend having her spayed after this heat cycle as she has an abnormal uterus.If however her appetite is off and she seems to be drinking more water then usual, or is running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F) then this probably should not wait until Monday, she should be seen as soon as possible.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her heat cycles tend to be very frequent. Her eating, drinking, and energy level has not changed. She also is not tender in her female area or stomach. I palpated and no reaction.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her last cycle was extremely light..
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I am glad to hear that she isn't tender and her appetite, drinking and activity remain normal.That being the case perhaps she truly has endometritis, that would be the better thing by far. If that is the case though getting her through this and then spayed is best.Having heats every 2-3 months simply isn't normal, and likely indicates things are not right.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Amber Staten. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara