Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

All of a sudden, our dog was being his normal self when suddenly,

Customer Question

All of a sudden, our dog was being his normal self when suddenly, he laid down and had involuntary (whole body) twitching and uncontrolled eye movement (eyes rolling around like a camillian). He also had the inability to respond to any command or even his name. This condition lasted less than 1 minute or 2. He appears to be his normal self at this time. FYI: He is a 65 lb., 6 year old boxer. Please reply to***@******.***. Thank you! Roxanne Rieber
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer your question until now.It sounds like L'il Boy had a seizure. This is something you will need to discuss with your veterinarian. But if he is having persistent/continuous seizures then he need to be seen on emergency this weekend. If he only had the one then on Monday you should talk to your veterinarian. We usually recommend an examination and some lab testing be done to screen for issues that could cause sudden onset of seizures, particularly a complete blood count, chemistry profile and urine check (to look for liver issues, toxicity problems, etc). He is a bit old for this to be onset of epilepsy unless he has had seizures in the past.If a primary cerebral problem is suspected then this is something that may need referral to a neurologist, especially if the issue is worsening, for advanced imagery (MRI) and a cerebrospinal fluid tap for analysis (look for inflammation and infections which can cause seizures)We usually do not jump to medicating a dog for seizures unless there is more than 2 or 3 in a short time period. Then, they must be stopped. With a single seizure we usually recommend at least a basic work up with the lab testing and exam, and then you keep a log of unusual events at home. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.