Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My Chihuahua Jake has had a rough cough the last

Customer Question

My Chihuahua Jake has had a rough cough for about the last 2weeks. X-rays show no Tracheal Collapse, and no other issues with the lungs. We have tried a round of two different antibiotics. Kennel Cough has been ruled out. Allergies are a possibility, but he does not respond to Benadryl. The first few days, his cough was productive in that he coughed up a foam-like sputum - no blood as of yet. His mood and eating habits are no different. Full of energy and is more than willing to eat when food is presented. Currently taking Prednisone, and a cough suppressant without a ton of relief. Cough seems to really present itself when he gets excited (barks, runs, etc). Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. There is no way to rule out Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough...we can only rule out other possibilities for this cough. At Jake's age, I would worry about Heart disease but since all tests have come back negative, this is most likely Kennel Cough. This is typical in dogs that are otherwise perfectly healthy and the cough is more productive after waking in the morning or when they get excited. The good news is that this is a self limiting disease that will resolve on its own and will nto respond to antibiotics. Cough suppressants such as you are giving is the treatment of choice. In older dogs like Jake, this can last for months so as long as he has no other symptoms, treat with the cough suppressants and give this time. This LINK can explain in more detail. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Damian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta