Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

I got my male maltese desexed in feburary today

Customer Question

hi I got my male maltese desexed in feburary today for some reason he is red round where he got stitched up does he have some sort of infection there
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I've also performed plenty of desexing procedures. I'm sorry to hear that Buddy has some redness at his surgery site - I'll do my best to help. Infection is usually signaled by swelling, warmth, and a cloudy or thick discharge from the area. Some redness doesn't necessarily mean that there's an infection. Most surgical sites are closed with buried sutures, so even this long after surgery there can still be some swelling or a visible mark at the site. If he's not bothered by it and he's acting completely normally it's not likely an emergency, but I'd call the vet who did the procedure so that they can have a look and confirm that everything is OK. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)