Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

It's looks like she had an episode of vestibular disease.

Customer Question

It's looks like she had an episode of vestibular disease. She has resolved and seems to be nauseated. I do not have Zofran.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: It's spring so perhaps. She has had a seizure one year ago for which I have injectible diazapam but this did not look like that nor a stroke. I am a Paramedic so trying to make her comfortable until her Vet calls back.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Back?
Customer: No, Tessa is a 14 year old Border Collie who is otherwise healthy and had normal blood work a month ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear about your dog potentially having a vestibular event. Here is a link to more information on this condition:http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogsLuckily in most dogs they will improve within a week of having this event. We don't fully understand the reason this happens in pets unless there is an overt ear infection that is the cause but in most cases this is not the issueSupportive care is often the best treatment for vestibular disease which means keeping quiet, minimizing the ability to cause injury such as stairs, fluids under the skin to maintain hydration until this passes if there is vomiting, anti nausea medication if there are symptoms of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) or vomiting and medication to help with dizziness if there is difficulty getting around or a reduction in appetiteIf there is improvement within the first few days to a week that is a great sign. Some dogs will have a residual head tilt to some degree while others will relapse but until we have a better understanding why this happens in dogs we really support their quality of life in hopes of getting through to where they were before this occurred.Other causes unfortunately do include a brain aneurism, tumor, a stroke to name a fewWhat can help until you are able to contact your vet: low lighting, support when standing with a towel as a sling when going out to potty, pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours can help with nausea, bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat as long as the nausea has subsided (reduced salivation, licking lips, not trying to eat grass)...I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you
Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog and check to see if you needed any further assistance? If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!