Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Great Dane is not wagging his tail month now.One month

Customer Question

My Great Dane is not wagging his tail for a month now.One month ago he was treated by a vet for a bladder infection with an antibiotics.We had follow ups and vet gave him second course of an antibiotics.He is not eating his regular food-only treats, milk, bread and human food.His tail is still stiff and not moving.What is going on?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear your Dane is having issues with his tail. Is he walking any differently? Stiff legged, dragging rear feet so his nails are shorter, or a wider gait with his rear legs?Did your veterinarian palpate the tail or address the issue with the tail on his or her examination? Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The vet was not concerned about the tail.One month ago when all this started my dog had problems getting up.Now he sims to be moving OK.
Even if he is moving alright are there any of the other symptoms I listed? Sometimes they are very subtle and not overt such as pain or stiffness but simply a difference in gait or wearing the nails shorter
I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.The reason I ask is with his breed my primary rule out would be cauda equina syndrome or lumbosacral stenosis (LS)...The concern with the urinary tract infection is he wasn't aware his bladder was full and therefore increased risk of a uti as a result. In some more mild cases of LS stenosis there might just be changes with the tail dropping lower and no other issues whatsoever. Others are more painful and show more traditional symptoms. Diagnosis can be made off x-rays but in more mild cases an MRI is needed. CLICK HERE for more information on this conditionAnother possibility is limber tail syndrome but often this resolves on its own within 2-4 weeks of presentation
I have a dog with LS disease and her symptoms are not the typical painful dog with limited use of back legs. She was diagnosed six years ago and I have been able to manage with pain medication, physical therapy, acupuncture but diagnosis is key I know this is a lot to digest so please let me know what you think once you have read the information I have provided. A neurologic consult might be the first place to start or discussing this possible diagnosis and x-rays with your veterinarian who will do a full neurologic exam to rule this out as an alternativeI will await your response... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are this conditions life threatening?
In some cases they can progress and require surgery while other cases are stagnant their entire life. Yet others can be somewhere in between. My dog was diagnosed at 2 years old and is now 8 years old. She has progressed somewhat but manageable with medications and exercises to maintain her strengthAgain I don't know if this is what is going on without an exam but when I hear a Great Dane with a reduced functioning tail this is my first inclination
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 20 minutes tonight to assist you both If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog and check to see if you needed any further assistance? If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman