Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog is vomiting and has diarrhea she pops out big

Customer Question

Hello my dog is vomiting and has diarrhea she pops out big worms
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I can say. She's also loss her appetite and has been lethargic
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gali she's 4 mnths
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gali?
Customer: No she just lethargic vomiting white yellow she won't eat food and has diarrhea with some worms
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is her vomit
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long have you had her for? Is she up to date on vaccines? Are you noticing any blood in the feces?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've had her 2 months.
She was up to date but she is missing one of her vaccines.
Okay thanks for the additional information. Has she been dewormed in the past? Any other dogs in the household? Based on the picture it looks like she may be overloaded with roundworms which is causing her to vomit as well. Since she is vomiting it may be challenging to give her something by mouth to deworm her so she may need something injectable to help get rid of the worms. Also she may need fluid therapy and medication for vomiting before she gets too dehydrated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the way she is pooping at the moment
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've been giving her pedialite for the past 2 days
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has been dewormed on her first set of shot
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a chihuahua.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I live in fresno. How much would it cost. I don't have the money for expensive treatment.
I initially tought it was Parvoted so I looked up home remedies and saw that charco tablets mixture with water and pedrialite.
It does look pretty bad. Has she kept down the pedialyte? I can see what appears to be round worms in the stool. If she only has had one dewormer then it is likely she could have been infected between the time of the last deworming and now. Are you able to get her to the vet? I would be concerned that since she is a chihuahua she could easily become hypoglycemic as well without any food.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No my dog that is sick is a rottweiler. I also have a chihuahua at home but she's excluded from my sick rott.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has been drinking the pedialite through out the day. She will even drink it herself.
How much would a treatment for her cost
Oh okay sorry about that. Costs could vary from clinic to clinic. Conservative therapy would consists of fluids under the skin, an injection for vomiting, and medication for deworming. More aggressive therapy would involve hospitalization with intravenous fluids and blood work. I can tell you based on my cost but I am from GA
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If i were to call a clinic what exactly do I tell them so I can get an estimate of the cost?
Typically fluids at my clinic are around 40$ dewomer is typically around 15 dollars and injection for vomiting is around $40 and we typically charge around $40 for an office visit and that would be the conservative therapy
You would tell them that your dog has intestinal parasites that are causing her to vomit. You would like to know the price for an office visit, anti vomiting medication, dewormer, and possible medication for diarrhea for a dog her weight.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there anything I could give her (home remedies.) Till I'm able to get her to an affordable clinic
I would continue with the Pedialyte. But since she is vomiting there is really nothing that you can give her by mouth with out the risk of her vomiting it up. You can see if you can get a dewormer from a feed store that treats roundworms and if she happens to keep it down then maybe it will help. But the key will be to completely get rid of the parasites to get her to feel better.