Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 12 year old shar pei. A week ago she vomited twice

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old shar pei. A week ago she vomited twice green grass type stuff and there was even grass blades in it she did that one day and then again the next. She would still eat and drink
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Today she looks as thou she has lost 25 pounds over night
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: I woke up to brown vomit in several spots in the house the vomit has blood strings in it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She won't eat or drink and can hardly walk it seems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She literally looks like a skeleton
I am not aware of her eatting anything bad and like I said she was just eatting 2 days ago without a problem. I would say that she has started to thin out some over the last little bit but nothing major but today she looks like she hasent ate in weeks.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been so ill this past week. I'm locked on your question and typing out my thoughts - it will take me 10-15 minutes to do so. Feel free to reply with more information or specific questions while you wait and I'll address them in my response.~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All she has done is laid around and when she does move she walks very slow and looks like she is in pain.
Her vomit smells much like adult vomit.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know she should prob see a vet ASAP and as sad as it is to say it I honestly can't afford to take her. She has always had weird health issues. I believe she might have shar pei syndrome as her hocks would often get quite swollen and look like fluid sacks. She has had those issues for the last 8 years. If this what is finally kicking it at full speed then what can I do to make her comfortable.
Thanks for your patience. I'm sorry that she looks so terribly thin all of a sudden. Weight loss that happens very suddenly like that is definitely concerning, although it's a very nonspecific sign, meaning that it could be caused by a lot of different diseases. The intermittent vomiting you noted initially might or might not be related - that sort of occasional vomiting doesn't always indicate a major problem, as sometimes it can be due to a dietary indiscretion or a virus that will pass on its own. Unfortunately, the sudden worsening of the vomiting and the blood in the vomit is more concerning for serious disease. Vomiting is also a really nonspecific sign, meaning that it can be caused by a wide variety of diseases. I'm sorry to say this but in a dog of her age there are a lot of bad diseases on that list like kidney failure, liver disease, and cancer. Based on your description of blood in her vomit, her lethargy, and the weakness you're seeing, I would definitely suggest an exam by a veterinarian ASAP, even if that means seeking care at an emergency hospital. I wish that I could say for sure that it'd be OK to wait, but at her age and with the severity of signs you're describing I just wouldn't feel right telling you to wait. I'm afraid that this could be something serious. On the other hand it might be something that can be easily treated like a nasty stomach flu, but there's no way to tell without actually having her seen. I just got your most recent reply about not being able to seek emergency care for her. Unfortunately, it will be risky waiting this out. It's likely that she is dehydrated, so if she can keep it down you can try giving her water or pedialyte with a dropper. You could also encourage her to lick on some ice cubes. If she can't keep that down, I'm afraid there's not much you can do at home to keep her hydrated. Here is some information on using pepcid for stomach upset:http://canigivemydog.com/pepcid-ac Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes this makes sense.
I am going to see if I can get her to take water from me and go from there
Excellent - are there any other questions that I can handle for you tonight?~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I took her into emerg and had to put her down.
Thank u
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. I'm glad, though, that she's no longer in discomfort. Please accept my deepest sympathies. You will continue to receive follow up messages from the website that look like they are coming from me. Please know that I will not continue to bother you in your time of loss. Please do let me know, though, if I can answer any other questions.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. I am not compensated for my time until a favorable rating has been obtained. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)