Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 2 year old Brittany spaniel that suddenly

Customer Question

hello! i have a 2 year old Brittany spaniel that suddenly began favoring his back right leg a few minutes ago. right now he will not walk on it at all. on exam the top of the paw (the area that would correspond to the top of the hand and (opposite side) palm on a human) is swollen and the foot pads are as well. he is sensitive to touch when i put pressure on the this part of the paw, but the most sensitive area is touching a specific "finger"... on a human it would be the ring finger or 4th finger.... on our dog it is the second toe from the right. i can palpate the sides of each of his "toes" without any response from him, but when i put gentle pressure on the sides of this "toe" he yelps. he doesn't yelp when pressure is applied to the "top" of his paw but he immediately reacts by moving or attempting to make me stop. we did not see him injure his paw and there are no abrasions, bites, red marks, broken nails, or any other external signs of trauma. he is choosing to curl up and lie down now which is out of character for him so his behavior seems affected as well. should we have someone see him tonight? (7:11pm on a saturady night) or watch it and see someone tomorrow if there is no improvement?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bolt. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian for Just Answer. This could be a broken toe, or something like a spider bite. If you check his gums, are they pink in color or do they seem pale? Will he eat and drink? Will he take food and water?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
If his gums are pink and if he will take food and water, then he may be stable and not need to go to emergency. If his gums look pale, I would take him in tonight. How much does he weigh? If he will eat, you can try him on some aspirin but I need his weight to give a safe dose. Do not give Aleve or Advil
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is Bolt doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bolt. How is everything going?