Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have a geriatric female german shepherd. She has severe

Customer Question

I have a geriatric female german shepherd. She has severe spondilosis. My question is about defecating. For about 3 months, she really has not known that it's about to happen, and the stool falls out where ever. Not a problem, it's been solid stool and I grab it up with a plastic bag. However, about 3 days ago, she had soupy diarrhea and now, has not had a stool since. Her diet had not changed and she goes no where to pick up a bug. My concern is that the spondilosis has worsened and that now she can not poop. It's been 3 days since the diarrhea episode. I've cooked boiled chicken for her. I've tried to stimulate her to defecate, but nothing comes out. Do they get to a point that they simply can not defecate at all? Or does it build up and come exploding out as diarrhea every few days?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear Echo is having issues with spondylosis and gi changes. Often after diarrhea, dogs will not defecate for several days and this can be normal. The gi tract goes from hyper motile to reduced motility and can result in constipation. I can give you some ideas of how to help but as long as she is not straining to defecate, no vomiting, and otherwise acting normal with a good appetite monitoring would be ideal at this point... but if there is no change in the next 24 hours with the recommendations below an exam is warranted to ensure she is not becoming constipated 1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon. Feeding the boiled chicken but adding white rice is a great idea2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. Since she hasn't defecated in three days doing smaller more frequent meals followed by 10-15 minute walks is perfect4.) Longterm supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with dinner, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner) If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue. Especially being a GSD we want to rule out fistulas perianally... Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog and check to see if you needed any further assistance? Did your GSD defecate in the last 12 hours? I would love an update when you are able... If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!