Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Not eating or drinking. Piper is 9 years old and was doing

Customer Question

Not eating or drinking. Piper is 9 years old and was doing fine just two days ago. Today I had to pick her up to take her outside. She did urinate and pooped. Tonight she is still not eating. This am I did give her rice and chicken broth and she did eat it. However, now she will not.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piper?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear Piper is not eating or feeling well. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian with Just Answer. Is she having any diarrhea? Any vomiting at all? If you check her gums, do they look pink or are they pale? Can you take her temperatue with a thermometer? Is she spayed? Sorry for the many questions but since I can't see or examine her, the more you can tell me the more I can help. If she is not spayed, one concern is a uterus infection, but of course if she is spayed that is not her problem.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
If her gums are pink, that is a good sign. If her gums look pale that can be a serious sign. Can you get her to drink? If she is not eating it is important to keep her hydrated. Try offering water, broth, soup, any liquid you think she might take. You can try Pedialyte as well. Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have. I hope this is not serious and she is feeling better soon.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is Piper doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not well. We did the blood work and the red cells are low and white high. Tough day. The vet thinks cancer. We tested for ticks and the results were negative. She is resting at home and it will be a difficult day tomorrow. The kidneys were good and she has been alert. Piper has been a big part of our lives for 10 years. We will send contact our vet tomorrow. Thank you for caring and asking. Sad day.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I am so sorry to hear about Piper not doing well. I hope you get better news when you hear from your veterinarian. Let me know if I can help with any questions you have.