Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

The dog weighs 6 lbs and just swallowed a 25 mg pill of metoprolol

Customer Question

The dog weighs 6 lbs and just swallowed a 25 mg pill of metoprolol tartrate. She is a six montrh old yorkipoo. Is there anything I should do?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: No. She is very healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry for this concern for Sophie. While 25 mg is obviously more than her dose would normally be if it were prescribed for her, I wouldn't expect this to be a toxic amount. In fact, the higher end of the dosage range for a dog this size would be about 18 mg...so clearly she didn't receive a large amount more than this.It may help you to know that there were 1079 single agent exposures to metoprolol reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center during 2009-2013; only 97 were symptomatic so it would appear that this drug has a fairly wide margin of safety.The most common clinical signs included: lethargy, increased heart rate, vomiting, and slow heart rate. If she ingested the pill within less than 1 hour or so and you wanted to induce vomiting just to be on the safe side, you could although I'm not certain that it's absolutely necessary.Fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide (it should fizzle and bubble) can be given at a dose of 1 teaspoon mixed with bread; walk her around and repeat the dose if necessary.Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will. More than likely, she'll be fine though.I hope this helps. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great advice!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. And best of luck with Sophie. Kind regards, Deb