Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

It is springtime and coincident with my sneezing and itching

Customer Question

It is springtime and coincident with my sneezing and itching eyes my dog (10 month male Belgian Malinois) is sneezing constantly and looks to have nasal drainage. He did see the Vet recently for what I thought was an eye infection but it was confirmed that is was an environmental irritant and allergic reaction. He was prescribed Dexasporin (Sandoz) eye drops which worked very well. Is it advisable to have him looked at and consider some antihistamine for dogs or let it pass as it is likely a seasonal allergy? Everything else about him seems normal (disposition, activity, appetite).
Thank you,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, John. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. If Chewie develops these signs this time of year, then a pollen allergy is a real suspect here. Therefore, depending on severe it is for him, you could have his vet (or request a referral to a dermatologist) carry our allergy testing. That way you will know what is triggering his signs and can potentially keep him away from it.Otherwise, you can try symptomatic care to keep him comfortable. To do so, your vet can dispense treatment like Atopica, Apoquel, or steroids. Though if his signs are mild, then an antihistamine can be of great benefit. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Finally, if his eyes have been particularly irritated, you can also flush them with sterile eye safe saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) as needed. As well, emollient shampoos (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based ones) can help reduce skin irritation as well.Overall, this does sound like a seasonal and likely pollen based allergy. You can let it pass, but if he is suffering with this and not feeling 100%, we are best to at least use the above to help soothe this for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
How is everything going for Chewie?Dr. B.