Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is constantly licking his paws . JA: IÂ'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

He is constantly licking his paws .
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack 6year d Boston . I figured it's allergies . But we put the cone on and we took I tofu then he isback at it again
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boston?
Customer: The vet gave us atopica pills but when I gave him the pill he didn't agree with it and threw it up but I gave it to him after he ate his food
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Licking of the extremities is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of either atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, or dust mites, etc.) or food intolerance. Atopy is usually addressed with a low-dose glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone or, preferably, the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel). Atopica (cyclosporin) is reasonable but if Jack isn't tolerating it, oclacitinib should be considered.Food intolerance is found much less commonly than atopy but is an important differential diagnosis for a dog such as Jack. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Jack's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.It's important that a bacterial pododermatitis (bacterial and/or demodectic mite infection) or Malassezia (yeast) infection be identified and treated appropriately prior to these allergies being addressed. Jack's vet can perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of Jack's affected skin) in an attempt to identify abnormal numbers of those infectious agents. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?