Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I usually give my dog's their heartworm every 27th of the month

Customer Question

I usually give my dog's their heartworm every 27th of the month but I got it mixed up and gave it to them on the 21st. My question is from here on out do I give them the dosage on the 21st of every month or should I go back to the 27th for the next dosage?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you all today!This is a great question. Ideal is to continue at the thirty day mark as you have been doing but if it is easier for you to remember the 27th since this is the date you have done in the past a six additional day delay will not put them at higher risk for exposure as the heartworm prevention does cover up to 6 weeks. Now your other option is to add two days to the 21st monthly until you return to the 27th of the month to reduce the window between dosages. For example, next month do the 23rd then June the 25th to return to the 27th in July...I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!