Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Labrador just ate a kids sock

Customer Question

My Labrador just ate a kids sock
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he eat this?How is he just now? Any belly pain?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About 20 mins ago he is acting normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** he just had this so recently, we can try inducing vomiting to get the sock our of his stomach just now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered or their endoscope can be used to just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. Otherwise, we’d need to plan to encourage the sock to pass the other way while monitoring closely. With that, we could start by feeding him a "Vaseline sandwich." This will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the sock and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. And that Vaseline will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal issue. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. Afterwards, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage the sock to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we'd be best to induce vomiting or have his vet remove this with their scope since that would avoid any complications. Otherwise, we can use the above to help encourage the sock to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and there is no issue, the sock should pass. Though any of those signs and we'd want to have him seen urgently.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He threw up the sock in the afternoon that day. Thanks for the advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome,That is great news and the best case scenario for your lad.All the best,Dr. B-------------------------------------. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )