Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My golden doodle has a dry cough only when she barks or gets

Customer Question

My golden doodle has a dry cough only when she barks or gets very excited. Is it possible that she has bordatello? Anything I can do to hep her? Otherwise everything is normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. If your sweet Kelly is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, Kelly can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give Kelly 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of her weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so she is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Kelly to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please do not bill me monthly. I simply needed this one question answered and nothing more. Thank you, ***** *****
No problem, Linda unless you signed up for a subscription. Check and if you did, contact***@******.*** Thanks!