Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My 6 year old pom-chihuahua mix (14 lbs.) returned yesterday

Customer Question

My 6 year old pom-chihuahua mix (14 lbs.) returned yesterday from the vet after an overnight stay for treatment of vomiting and diarrhea. She has been in heat for appx. 8 days.
While there she was treated with lactated ringers injection, ampicillin injection (2), cerenia injection, hydromorphone injection (2) and a metronidazole injection. She was sent home with metronidazole tablets (250 mg) and cerenia tablets (16 mg).
She still has diarrhea and my question is, is it okay to give her Loperamide and if so, what dosage? She was sent home with Metronidazole and Cerenia.
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear that your gal is not feeling well. It does appear to be a digestive disturbance caused by either stress from being in heat or from another form. The treatment that was given was perfect for this digestive issue and this will eventually resolve the diarrhea as well. Loperamide is quite strong and since she is already on Cerenia, it is best to NOT give the Loperamide. This could cause more problems for your gal. The treatments will resolve the diarrhea naturally. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta