Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My German shepherd just got his paw ran over. He let me feel

Customer Question

My German shepherd just got his paw ran over. He let me feel around on it, but you can feel one on the toes broken. He is limping a little bit. Is there anything that can be done or should I watch to see
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There isn't any broken skin
JA: What is the German shepherd's name and age?
Customer: Max and he is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: He is very healthy and gets checkup every year. He is an outside dog.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is best to have your vet xray Max's paw to know for sure what is broken or just traumatized. In certain cases, surgery may be required for a long term fix for Max so he can have full movement of this paw. For now, the best thing you can do is to give Max aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce inflammation and pain and apply cold compresses to this area every 4-6 hrs to help decrease swelling. A splint that you can purchase at the pet store may help decrease pain and increase the healing time since this splint will keep this paw immobile allowing a better chance of healing. Depending on the break, this may be all your vet will do if surgery is not required. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****