Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 11lb havanese ate 5mg of melatonin 12 hours ago - he

Customer Question

Hi - my 11lb havanese ate 5mg of melatonin 12 hours ago - he seemed fine at first, but now he has thrown up bile and is shaking.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oliver, 1 and a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Melatonin is considered non-toxic in dogs. 5 mg is well within the recommended dosing range of 3-12 mg once or twice daily. Side effects are rare although transient sedation is possible. I would consider another dietary indiscretion as the cause of his vomiting and shaking although there's always the possibility of an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction to any drug. "Watchful waiting" is appropriate at this time. I would fast Oliver for 12 hours but leave his water down. If drinking induced more vomiting, ice cubes for him to lick should replace his water. If his vomiting worsened instead of abated, a vet should thoroughly examine him and if fluid and electrolyte loss were expected to be significant, give Oliver supplemental fluds in the form of subcutaneous or intravenous administration. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?