Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Suzy. My dog has been eating grass and throwing up since 9pm.when

Customer Question

Suzy. My dog has been eating grass and throwing up since 9pm.when she drinks water she throws up. And she keeps whining. I'm trying to decide if I should go to emergency or wait for reg vet
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was fine during the day until around 5-6 I came home played ball with her and when she fetched it maybe she ate something? But I couldn't see anything. But she started gaging and than she was fine until like 9 when she started dating grass and vomiting.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I'm sorry the expert you requested does not seem to be available right now.This is a tough call on whether it is an emergency situation. If you monitor her for an hour and she continues to be anxious/whining and having the vomit then I recommend you have her seen today rather than waiting the whole weekend. If she induces herself to vomit with grass, vomits and then seems to feel great with no relapse then you can safely monitor for today. But, again, if she has recurrence of persistence of the same symptoms then it is always better to err on the side of caution and have her seen.If she does appear to be recovered to no longer whining or trying to vomit and you elect to monitor for a while, I recommend keep her water available but do not try to feed her again until later this afternoon. And, then when you do feed her do a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken breast (or you can substitute cottage cheese for the chicken) which are very easy for her to digest. Start by feeding a small bit and then wait an hour or so to see if they stay down. If she immediately vomits them back up, then this is an indication she must be seen on emergency. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.