Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

Last weekend I boarded my small 14lbs dog days. I have

Customer Question

Last weekend I boarded my small 14lbs dog for 2 days. I have done so in the past but it has been 3 years and I know it is very stressful on him. He has not eaten in 3 days he has diarrhea and its bloody. He has also been throwing up but not much not seeing as he is not eating.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.It is sometimes common for a dog to come home stressed after boarding and perhaps not eat or have loose stool for a day after boarding, but two days worries me. And, the presence of blood in the stool and vomiting are a clear indications that he should be seen today. He is also such a small dog that I worry he will become quite dehydrated with these signs. This is not something I think a wait-and-see or treat-at-home approach would be appropriate. I also worry anything I might recommend you try at home will not work because he is vomiting (so it will not stay down long enough to exert an effect).I wish I could diagnose the problem for you but I would need to perform an exam and some lab testing to try to narrow down the cause. There are many possible causes for the vomit/diarrhea for the past 48 hours that might be anything from hemorrhagic gastroenteritis syndrome to ingestion of unusual item which has upset his system (or is trapped in his system) to pancreatitis to other organ problem (liver, kidney) to viral infection (coronavirus in particular) and the list continues. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.