Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Our sons Doberman is staying with us and he is 6 months old

Customer Question

our sons Doberman is staying with us and he is 6 months old he just lays around and won't eat if possible he looks so sad he just threw up in the back yard what can I do for him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Because Sarge is so young, the most likely problem is a digestive disturbance secondary to something that he may have ingested that you were not aware of. The treatment for this is as follows: Fast Sarge for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting and lethargy have resolved, then wean sweet Sarge back onto regular food. If the vomiting and lethargy persists especially during the fast, take Sarge to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do understand and will give it a try thank you
Excellent! I really hope that Sarge will feel better soon!
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Hi Lucy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sarge. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta