Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Our dog just killed a small possum in our back yard. it's

Customer Question

our dog just killed a small possum in our back yard. it's dark so I counn't see every think, but it looks like he picked the possum off of a tree about 2 ft off of the ground. hd it in his mouth for a moment then I got onvoled. looks like our dog broke the skin on the possum as I see a little blood. our dog had his rabies vaccination about 30 days ago.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kody
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kody?
Customer: no good health 9 yr old Alaskan Malamute, has all shots except boradelo
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
The Opossums are very generally very little threat to most dogs. They are quite resistant to rabies and are generally not really considered a rabies risk at all. Considering your dog is appropriately vaccinated, it is extremely unlikely there is any rabies concern. Opossums don't generally transmit any other diseases unless you dog was eating Opossum feces in great numbers, which could potentially contain GI parasites. If your dog is on monthly heart worm prevention, it should treat and prevent those types of parasites.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
As long as your dog has no large wounds on it, he should be just fine. Please feel free to reply back if you need any further information. I wish you and your dog the best. Have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your timely response
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.Please feel free to reply back if you need anything else, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any given time. Have a wonderful weekend!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I just wanted to check in. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation.I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.