Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Dog ate something from trash...I was gone one hour. was slightly

Customer Question

dog ate something from trash...I was gone one hour. was slightly slowish when i got home then threw up, then seemed to be fine. wet nose wagging tail. maybe a little to fine then he was try to hump me repeatedly which is not his typical behavior but as i type is laying still next to his partner in crime who is just fine.??? he is 20 small mixed breed 4 year old...thoughts please?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Most likely Lucky has a mild digestive disturbance that is causing him this odd behavior. The best treatment for this is as follows: Fast Lucky for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting has resolved and Lucky is feeling better, then wean him back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take him to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction which will require veterinary treatment. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Bob,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta