How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28084
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My doxie caught a mouse today and I've had poison hidden trying

Customer Question

My doxie caught a mouse today and I've had poison hidden trying to get rid of the vermin. I know my dog bit the mouse and I am not sure if the mouse was dead or alive when my dog caught it. Its almost been 8 hours and I just noticed that the dog doesn't seem himself. it was Tomcat mouse killer. on the box the note to vets says the product is not an anticoagulant and that is does contain bromethain I live an hour from the nearest er vet and it's 2 am. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This type of poison does cause brain swelling and neurologic issues that can become permanent. The treatment is IV fluids and medications to decrease brain swelling. The good news is that this does not have a "second kill" which means that if it has killed the mouse, it is unlikely, unless the mouse had some of this in his cheeks, that your guy would get this poison. This lethargy after 8 hrs may be due to a digestive disturbance rather than being poisoned by this product. Watch your guy for another hour or 2 to see if these symptoms are related to neurologic issues such as difficulty walking, appearing drunk and others. If this happens, rush him to your vet. If the symptoms are of a digestive nature, give your guy Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs while fasting for 24 hrs. Hopefully, he will be fine. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think he is fine. But I'm removeing the poisons and changing to sticky traps ...that way I will know for sure . Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
That is good news....thanks for the update! Have a great evening!!
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta

Related Dog Veterinary Questions