Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I need some advice on my old dog. He is a springer X with

Customer Question

Hi. I need some advice on my old dog. He is a springer X with flat coat and he is 14 years old. Lately we have started to notice some behaviour changes that feels unsettling. Like he will jump up and sit on me and when asked to move he proper growls( not a friendly one). He also barks at nothing and he seems scared for no reason. I know that spaniels can go a bit silly when old and I guess I am just wondering if this is a normal change or something else. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This behavior change could be due to canine dementia, Cognitive Dysfunction Disorder, Liver Disease or other metabolic issues. These all cause neurologic symptoms such as this odd behavior change. It is important that you take your sweet Jack to your vet for testing and blood work. This will rule out metabolic issues and help determine the cause. Liver disease and Cognitive Dysfunction can be treated with medication to help Jack past this. Only diagnostics will tell you what is causing this sudden change...this is common in older dogs and it is real. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta