How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1196
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 9 year old 10 lb. Poodle ate about 4 mini Reece's mini cups.

Customer Question

My 9 year old 10 lb. Poodle ate about 4 mini Reece's mini cups. He threw up and there were a few pieces of chocolate it. He is quiet and sleeping. There is not a vet within 40 mi. What should I do?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the poodle?
Customer: I assumed my 10 lb. Poodle ate all 8 of the Reece mini cups. However, I do have his sister who is 16 lb. Who was in the house with him. Eight were missing and 8 wrappers found.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Do you still have the bag the candies were in? If so, can you tell me the weight of the candies?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I don't have the bag.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We use fitness pal to track our food. According to the information we have from that each cup weighs .31 ounces
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Ok. While I was waiting for your response I found a similar bag on Amazon that I could read the label on. So if she ate 8 of these, and they were solid chocolate (which they are not, correct?) then she would have ingested about 2.4 ounces of milk chocolate. But it sounds like she vomited at least some of these up, and they are not solid chocolate, so likely she ingested a much smaller amount of chocolate. The 2.4 ounces is enough to see some side effects, such as vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, and restlessness. Hopefully she vomited a good amount of the chocolate up, and we will not see the more severe side effects. I would continue to monitor her. If you do see her begin to have hyperactivity, panting, restlessness, uncontrolled vomiting, tremors, seizures, these would be reasons to seek emergency care. I do not think you will see these severe signs given her history, but it is best to keep an eye on her. Give me one more minute to type a little more info for you here on vomiting...
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
If she begins vomiting repeatedly, then seek veterinary care. If she just vomits one or two more times, or if she is having diarrhea, but otherwise ok, you can try treating symptomatically at home. Here is an article on this: You can fast her for 8 hours and then slowly reintroduce small amounts (1 teaspoon per pound of weight) of water every few hours. If she keeps this down, then you can give small amounts of highly digestible food (such as cooked plain rice and shredded boiled chicken breast) every few hours in small amounts.Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
I am getting ready to sign off for the night, but don't want to leave if you still had any questions for me tonight?