Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have an 8 year old, 40 lb dog. My vet prescribed her 75 mg

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old, 40 lb dog. My vet prescribed her 75 mg of Carprofen to take for 2 weeks, for a small limp she had. Now she can't walk, eat, or do anything but deteriorate. Even though they admit she should not have been prescribed the med and that her dose was wrong, they lied to me over and over about what was wrong with her. When I finally looked up Carprofen over dose symptoms there is no doubt (of course we have had every test imaginable done). She needs to be hospitalized and an IV kept in her to flush out this poison. However I can't trust them to not give her more meds that can make this worse. They have lied to me time and time again. Pumping her with more meds with out my permission today. Further care with them at this point is no charge. I have spent thousands on this already and I can't afford to go to another emergency clinic. However I can't trust them alone with her and they won't let me stay with her. Do I have the right to stay with my pet?
Any other advice or tips would be really appreciated!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to try and help you with this. First were they giving your dog 75 mg of Carprofen once or twice daily?Second, actually unfortunately due to liability reasons you cannot stay with your dog.....Third, I understand why you are upset. But if you don't trust this vet why not find someone else at least for an evaluation to see if your current vet actually did make a mistakeIf you will answer my question about the carprofen I can help you better....Sincerely, DRB
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Twice a day, every 12 hours for 2 weeks. I can not afford to take her any where else, as stated above. I have already spent everything I have. I have priced taking her to get another opinion. How can I trust them when they lie to me and do not ask permisission before giving her more meds?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She completed her 2 weeks of the medication 5 days ago.
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
So yes that was an overdose by double.....I agree that trusting them is probably tough, but I would best especially since this error was made that they are doing everything in their power to save your dog. It is not at all in their best interest to do anything except everything they can at this point. Because if they lose your dog it will be on them. I hope that makes sense.....can I answer any other questions or concerns?
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any other questions as I will be back online tomorrow night. I have to go offline now as I have to work tomorrow. But think about what I have said....first when a vet makes a mistake most vets will feel awful about it and certainly do everything in their power to help a person's pet.........like I said before it is not in their best interest to have your dog die.......they want to do everything they can to save your dog..... this just makes legal sense......hope this helps but if you need further help let me know. Sincerely, ***** ***** hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to provide follow up answers. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Do you need further help. I have not heard back from you and I spent time trying to help you with this. I am happy to answer follow up questions and would very much appreciate a rating for my help. Sincerely, DRB