Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Not eating but drinking a little. i gave him some ice cube

Customer Question

not eating but drinking a little. i gave him some ice cube he ate those up quickly but won't really slurp it up our of his water bowl like he usually does. I do hear stomach gurgling noises. All of this started today.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** is 10 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Neo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Neo?
Customer: he's been scooting last couple days now that I think about it. He also licks his anus sometimes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Neo hasn't been eating like his usual self today. I'll do my best to help. In a dog who is otherwise healthy and acting normally otherwise, a dip in appetite makes me suspect that they might be having a GI upset. They can get nauseous from infectious things (think "stomach flu") or dietary indiscretions ("I ate something that made my tummy upset"), or other mild illnesses. More severe issues are significantly less common in young dogs. Sometimes it can also be a behavioral issue ("I don't like that food anymore"), in which case they'll eat something else that's "tastier" but snub their own food. The gurgling noises can easily be attributed to a GI upset or just an empty stomach in general. If he's continuing to not eat anything at all for more than 24 hours or he begins to act sick in other ways (lethargic, weak, vomiting, distended belly, respiratory distress), that's when I'd suggest calling the vet.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)