Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Very good in the car but salivates a lot. Sometimes it can

Customer Question

Very good in the car but salivates a lot. Sometimes it can be seen dripping from her mouth but there is no crying, just salivates
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: KT and a five month German Shepherd
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kt?
Customer: He's given her a tablet but she's never sick just absolutely wet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
KT is demonstrating car sickness and perhaps anxiety in your car. This can be addressed both medically and behaviorally. Over the counter dimenhydrinate (Gravol) dosed at 4-8 mg/kg cn be helpful when administered 30-60 minutes prior to entering the car. I prefer, however, to avoid drugs and instead see how the "jolly routine" works for KT. With this routine you take KT on a very short ride to a fun place - a dog park, beach, field, e.g. - a ride so short that she doesn't have time to become sick. The goal is to gradually lengthen your trips to fun places without her becoming ill. We expect her to begin anticipating going to fun places and "forgetting" about becoming ill/anxious. Should she backtrack, the trips are progressively shortened until she remains well and the cycle continues. This is a time consuming process but the results are often quite gratifying and long-lasting.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?