Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog was chasing chickens last night and got really worked

Customer Question

Hi, my dog was chasing chickens last night and got really worked up. He usually is tired and sore for a few days after this happens and today is no different other than he's been vomiting up the water he drinks and I noticed there was a tinge of red in his urine. He does not do well at the vet and I hate to take him there if it's just going to cause him to be worked up more than necessary. Please help, much appreciation. Concerned mama.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that your fellow Tech was overly active yesterday chasing chickens and today is lethargic, sore, vomiting even water and has a tinge of red in his urine.I understand that his temperament may make him a difficult patient but I am very concerned given what you have told me and I think he needs hand on veterinary help.You live in Florida which is humid and suddenly starting to get hot, and he is an older fellow with a heavy coat that was very active. Older dogs tend not to be as good as they once were at panting and cooling themselves, and I'm sure he isn't as good of shape as he was when he was younger.That combination can lead to heatstroke.When heatstroke occurs a whole cascade of damage can occur. The body's organs can actually become damaged, muscles can break down, we can see loss of clotting function, and the brain can suffer severe damage. The body's clotting mechanism can become overactive and small clots can form leading to further damage in the body as well as bleeding episodes in the body because all of the platelets and clotting factors are used up.Bacteria and their toxins can leak out of his gastrointestinal tract leading to massive infections.He may be going into shock now, thus his abnormal lethargic behavior and needs emergency veterinary care as soon as possible.He needs iv fluids, antibiotics, drugs to reduce inflammation in his brain (if present) and maybe a plasma transfusion if he is having clotting problems.The red color to his urine may be related to primary muscle damage (lysis of the muscle cells due to overheating) or kidney or liver damage.His vomiting tells me his gastrointestinal tract is affected too.Minimally if he were my dog I would get him on fluids, check his blood to see what sort of organ damage is going on and get him started on antibiotics. I know that might not be what you want to hear, but if this is heat stroke trying to treat him at home could be very dangerous. Because he is vomiting even water he will get dehydrated, which is a further stress on his organs and brain. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hi Sariann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tech. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup.