Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog suddenly is not able to rest. Last night starting around

Customer Question

My dog suddenly is not able to rest. Last night starting around 3 am she gets up every few minutes and runs around the house then lays down only to do it again. I let her out to go potty but that didn't help.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Suddenly. How old is Suddenly?
Customer: My dogs name is ***** ***** meant she is suddenly not able to rest. Sis is 9 year old pit/ Australian shepherd mix.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sis?
Customer: No. She is usually in good health. No serious medical problems up to this point. She is current on her vaccinations and a healthy weight.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear that Sis is not feeling well. Most likely Sis has suffered an injury to a disc in her back or has aggravated arthritis. This is very common in older large dogs because of their conformation. Since Sis does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain which is being shown by not being able to get comfortable. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Sis jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Sis is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your sweet Sis to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand. Thank you so much. I am taking Sis in today to the vet. I appreciate your time.
Good for you...better to be safe for your sweet Sis!!