Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has flu symptoms, he is coughing, has a fever, eyes

Customer Question

my dog has flu symptoms, he is coughing, has a fever, eyes have snot, and he looks tired. what can I do to get him better? I have immunizations scheduled for them tomorrow should I reschedule? I have a 12 year old dog in the house is this a bigger issue if he gets the flu?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Most likely Hades has either an allergic reaction or an Upper Respiratory Infection that is causing him this distress. If this is an infection, this could be contagious to your older dog since when they are older, their immune system is not as competent as when they are younger. If these are signs of an allergic reaction, give Hades Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 7 days. If the symptoms do not resolve within a few days, then take Hades to your vet for an exam. Since you have an appointment with your vet for Vaccines, keep that appointment and have your vet examine Hades. We will not vaccinate if Hades has an infection or ongoing illness but your vet will know what to do to treat him or if he is merely suffering from allergies, common this time of year. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dr. Loretta, thank you for the response. If it is flu what treatments do you recommend? if my older dog gets the flu will it be life threatening?
The "flu" would be considered an upper respiratory infection and treated with antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications to decrease the fever. It is possible, if the disease is serious, that this could be life threatening to your older dog but that is worst case scenario. In most cases, even if your older guy contracts the disease, the treatment would be successful for him also. Does that make sense?